Hepburn’s Passive House Cottage
Located near Australia's largest concentration of mineral springs, APHI Projects have recently completed a two bedroom ‘passive house’ retreat in picturesque Hepburn.
This contemporary and modern building aims to compliment the heritage cottage located at the front of the property. It sets a high standard for self-sufficiency and provides a comfortable, open concept and eclectic space to host a vacation with family and friends.
The concept cottage utilises the compact Zehnder CA180 MVHR system supplied by Fantech and is installed in cabinetry above the kitchen's refrigerator. Its integrated attenuator ensures low noise operation in this 2 bedroom cottage.
The cottage is positioned amongst beautiful country side and is available as short term accomodation. It will allow families to experience and appreciate the less obvious aspects of a Passive House and perhaps become adopters of the standard.
Benefits of Passive House Construction
Improved indoor air quality through the reduction of:
- Humdity (that can lead to mould growth)
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s)
- Pollen & dust particles (great for asthma sufferers)
- Air tight system reduces noise infiltration from external sources
- Triple glazed Spruce timber windows - Uw values (Window total) 0.85 - 1
Reduced Energy Consumption
- Space heating - Treated floor area: - 75.6 m2
- Heating demand: kWh/(m2 a) 11.9 this compares to minimum compliance 6 Star house at approx. 50 kWh/m2 per annum ie: 4 x the energy used for heating
- Solar PV system – 3kW
Design and Construction: APHI Projects
Co-design: Unicorn Architecture
Passive House Consultant: Grun Consulting
Air tightness system: Siga & Proctor
MVHR System: Zehnder CA180 by Fantech
Triple Glazed Windows: Doepfner
Hot Water Service: Sanden
Fantech was founded in 1973 and has since been at the forefront of fan engineering and acoustic control technologies. It continues to focus on the implementation of new products for virtually every commercial, residential and industrial ventilation requirement with an emphasis on reliability and energy efficiency.